Halls Storage | The Do's & Don'ts Of Storage Units
Storage Tips - Do:
• Use pallets, 2 x 4's, plywood, anything that will keep your items off the floor of the unit.
• Utilize all the space in your unit. Make a plan as to how you are going to arrange your items. A good plan will save you the time of having to rearrange your unit. Leave an aisle in the center of your unit so that you have a walkway to the back of the unit.
• Use freestanding shelves to help organize your unit.
• Be sure to store frequently used items at the front of the unit to avoid having to search for them.
• Cover items with moving pads, sheets, or light blankets to help protect them.
• Place cedar chips or mothballs with your clothing or upholstered items.
• Check your unit monthly.
• Disassemble items such as tables, bed frames, etc. This will save space. Wrap and label all pieces for an easier time when you have to reassemble them. Put all hardware in bags and mark the bags accordingly.
• Make sure that all appliances are clean and dry before storing them. Leave appliances slightly ajar to prevent mildew.
• If it is possible store couches on end. Stack chairs seat to seat. When stacking furniture use paper pads in between the items to avoid scratching.
• Store mirrors and paintings on end, not flat. Pack books flat to protect their spines.
• To prevent rusting, rub a small amount of machine oil on metal tools, bicycles, and equipment. Drain and clean all debris from all equipment before you store them.
• Store mattresses and box springs on long edges.
• When wrapping collectibles or anything breakable, tape it after you wrap it. Use bubble wrap or unprinted paper to wrap breakables.
• Clothing and draperies should be stored in wardrobe boxes, on hangers, to retain their original shapes.
• Rubbermaid containers are great to store your items. They have tight fitting lids and stack easily. Keep the more valuable items in the rear of the unit. This will prevent others from seeing them when you are in your unit.
• Keep out of season clothes accessible, you may have your belongings in storage longer than anticipated.
• Be aware of your surroundings when you are in your unit. If you see a potential problem or anything suspicious, alert the manager.
Storage Tips - Don't:
• Do not use plastic to cover your belongings. It can retain moisture.
• Do not store any food items. This will prevent any unwanted guests.
• Do not use printed newspapers for wrapping. The ink may smudge and get on your items.
• Do not assume that your homeowners or renters insurance will cover your belongings while in storage. Purchase the insurance.
• Do not give out your password, gate code or any information to any one that is not listed as having access.
• Do not pack your boxes so that they are too heavy to carry them. Especially when you are packing books.
• Do not store any toxins or flammables such as paint, oil, or gasoline.
Halls Storage 4509 E. Emory Road
Knoxville, TN 37938